Individuals & families >
1) TerraPass carbon offsets e-cards
Item #: TPX-GENLBS-ECARD
It's not just an e-card; it's an e-card with carbon offsets, which capture greenhouse gases that are harming our
Send one today with 5 easy steps:
1. Enter contact info (including your name!) plus a card message
2. Choose a card image from the "Type" drop-down menu (images listed from left to right
3. Enter the number of offsets you'd like to attach to your card: minimum is 1,000 lbs)
4. Add other sweet things, including a Climate Change Chocolate bar or a bumper sticker (Free!)
5. Click "Add to Cart" and Proceed to Checkout!
When a wind farm generates power, it displaces electricity generated by conventional sources such as coal and natural gas. Those conventional sources produce carbon dioxide emissions because they burn fossil fuels to spin their turbines, whereas wind farms don't use fossil fuels at all. They're virtually carbon-free!
Your money helps farmers capture and destroy the methane, a powerful global warming gas which forms when managing animal waste. It supports the installation and operation of anaerobic digesters, lagoon covers, and electricity generators.
Landfill gas capture
The trash we bury in landfills decomposes slowly, producing methane which escapes into the atmosphere. Methane is a powerful greenhouse gas - about 21 times as powerful as carbon dioxide - so projects which capture and destroy that gas are of great benefit to the climate. These projects capture the methane from landfills using wells, pipes, caps, blowers and other technology; and destroy the gas by burning it in a flare.
TerraPass is committed to delivering only the highest quality carbon offsets to our customers.
We're proud of how our approach compares to those of other carbon offset providers. Here's an overview:
1. We adopt the highest standards - 100% of our carbon offsets are verified against broadly accepted standards
by independent third party verifiers. Our primary standards are the Verified Carbon Standard and the Climate Action
Reserve. We believe these standards ensure that you receive the highest quality offsets available.
We also publish full details of our supported standards.
2. Our carbon offsets are happening now - We do not sell carbon offsets that depend on events far into the future,
such as a forest growing to maturity or a wind farm performing to expectation for many years. Before we include any
offsets in our portfolio, they have to be verified by an independent third party. In other words, an outside expert confirms
that the emissions reductions have actually occurred. Global warming is an urgent problem, and we want to make a
difference now, not far off in the future.
3. We publish full details on every offset project - We publish a list of all the projects with which we work to
produce carbon credits, including the project name, location, type, standard, verifier and the proportion of carbon credits
we purchased from each project. This way, you know exactly where your money goes. Other carbon offset providers don't
do this, so it's difficult or sometimes impossible to know what you’re buying.